Thursday, September 25, 2008

Hiding Veggies!!


I love it when I can get healthy food down my kids. They do okay when it comes to most things and if a side of ranch is included for the dipping they do great! What about the Veggies! All the veggies they seem to consume are the ones that have the least amount of nutrition for you. Well I went to our local Smiths for some shopping (which I love cause you can always find great markdowns) and found a killer deal on baby spinach (99 cents) for a good size bag. I decided to buy two and my pureeing began. I really like spinach cooked in different meals but for my kids I was going to have to be more creative.



So I tried a smoothie recipe which turned out pretty good, it did have a thicker texture but not bad and gage and violet didn't seem to care. Maicey on the other hand I knew she would notice so I added a little more juice and she drank it all, Yay!

1 c. carrots (pureed)
2 c. spinach
2 apples, peeled
1 c. orange juice
2 bananas
2 c. strawberries


I was on a roll so to our meatloaf at dinner I added 1/2 c puree each of spinach and squash (from our garden ) It turned out good as well. Gage insisted on helping me cook so I had to be a little sneaky adding the purees and when the meat turned kind of green I got out the food coloring to try and back up the reason why, it was kinda funny- kids aren't dumb. I went ahead and froze the extra puree for later. I try to feed my kids healthier choices for the most part -if it wasn't for my like of cooking desserts. But hey, any bit of greens is better than none, right?

6 comments:

Torrey said...

The smoothie looks yummy! Very SMART! I will have to try that on TY!!!

Bank On It said...

Very clever Lishy! I love that you turned it back with food color. Sneaky sneaky!

Annette Jones said...

hey lish that is a clever way to get your kids to eat veggies. You are a smart girl, takes after her mom right.

Cami said...

Sounds fishy to me~!

Bonnie Walker said...

Hey Alisha, that is so clever! Have you seen the cookbook by the seinfeld lady? She has lots of recipes that she adds veggies to, even spaghetti! My kids will eat anything as long as it has enough ranch on it! Your kids are adorable! It sounds like you guys are doing great. It is so fun to look at your blog!

Camrin said...

You are so smart! I am blessed with kids that pick through the food to eat the veggies first. Maybe one day I will have a kid that is different. Don't worry I will be coming to you for questions and recipes. :)